1. Boiler Service – Book in a service early in the Autumn before the Winter. This will help prevent any costly breakdowns that can occur when you most need heating to work and when engineers are usually at their busiest!
2. Heating system flush ( powerflush ) – Recommend a powerflush and chemical treatment every few years or so to prevent blockages which leads to poorly operating heating systems and cold radiators. Other than being more to expensive to run can also lead to boiler breakdowns and therefore further expense.
3. Radiator balance and system check over – Recommend testing and balancing your heating system each autumn before the winter. Increase efficiencies, use less fuel and save money.
4. Thermostatic radiator valves ( TRVs ) – Highly recommend installing TRV’s onto radiators to give greater heat control in each room; fuel efficiency & reduced running costs.
5. Insulation - Recommend insulating loft and roof space and any exposed pipe work to prevent freezing & burst pipes whilst cutting down on your energy bills.
6. Burst pipes! – Installing a low temp or ‘ Frost stat ‘ in your roof space can help prevent burst pipes during the winter and expensive water damage and repairs.
7. Carbon Monoxide Alarm – Installing a carbon monoxide alarm can save your life.
8. Water Softener – In hard water areas, installing a water softener can prevent limescale damage to taps and showers. Will also prevent pipes and heating systems becoming ‘ furred up’ or even blocked. You will need to use less detergent in your washing machine, is great for washing your hair and will prolong the overall life of your entire plumbing system.
9. Thermostats – If you have a hot water cylinder check that the thermostat is set between 60-65degrees. By law stored hot water should be kept at least 60 degrees to kill Legionella bacteria, although above 65 is a waste of your fuel.
Turning down your central heating thermostat by just one degree can reduce your heating bills by up to 5%!
10. Emergency! – Make sure you know how to turn the mains water off in an emergency. – If not find out!